Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Green Frog

On a beautiful spring morning, when Mishy was going on a discovery walk, she almost stepped heel to toe on a little green frog!  It wasn't really all her fault, for the frog did his best to make sure he was hidden...but not well enough!


Just before going into the water with her foot, Mishy noticed something pop up above the water's surface.  A closer look, she saw 2 bulging eyeballs look up at her from a pale green head! 


Startled and shaken, the frog looked up at Mishy and simply said, "do you want a game of cricket?" to which made Mishy laugh and reply, "no sir! I almost stepped on you!"  to which the frog replied, "I thought you were going to eat me, so I changed my color to brown right away! I only live for 3 or 4 years, so I would like to enjoy them!"  and with that Mishy decided to sit down on a rock close to her new friend, Mr. Green. 


Promptly she asked him where he had been all winter long, because he had no fur or coat to wear, so she was curious!  "I was fine! my gal friend and I just found a neat little spot together at the bottom of a lake in some mud"  Mishy stood up straight and pointed to Mr. Green and said "That's not true! How could you possibly breathe all through the winter at the bottom of a lake?!"  Mr. Green just shook his head and said, "you don't know much about frogs, do you?  We can breathe from our lungs and our skin, so when its cold, our bodies shut down and we become lazier, so we can breathe fine just through our skin alone until the temperature gets a little warmer.." With that Mr. Green went back down under the water to bury himself into the mud.


"Wait!!" called out Mishy,  "Don't go! I didn't know, that is pretty amazing! I sometimes wish that I could live under the water too..."After a minute or so Mr. Green emerged once more in a full and beautiful lime green color onto the rock beside her.  After a bit of silence, Mr. Green said, "how did you get here anyways?" to which Mishy smiled, "In a VW Beetle of course!!" Laughter was heard from the other little critters in Crooks Hollow...and soon under the days sun, they all came together for a little game of Cricket until the sun came down in Mishy's Small World.